Starting from scratch in an elite fitness-blog-world full of expensive gear, and Personal Records she couldn't beat with a car.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

In lieu of personal content

Here's a video of a pretty man doing pretty things in a pretty place in a decidedly fit manner.

Happy Hump day!

Video: Primal Movement
Equinox's newest program Animal Flow brings training back to basics. Watch creator Mike Fitch unleash the beast within.



Okay, turns out I lie, so here's a little bit of personal content.

I don't know that I'd call this a "new" system as this similar sort of free-flowing animalistic workout/warmup has been in my you tube favorites list since something like 2008.
The featured video is however pretty as heck (at least when that guy goes it, I don't know that I would do it the same justice)  and a combination of a lot of things I have had interest in for a number of years (running, Parkour, yoga, shirtless men with tattoos), so I'll let that "new" thing slide as advertising hyperbole since this is an ad promo.

I had a brief interest with Parkour around 2008ish which abruptly ended when I totally blew my knees out by running in the wrong shoes. I suppose you could also say that I had some interest in it as a teen, but it was called "juvenile delinquency" back then.

I kind of like the idea of trying it out again, but my upper body strength is approximately nil so it wouldn't be an immediate thing. I will say that every time I get too creeped out while running I am glad that those fence-hopping, cutting through someone's back-yard at speed memories from my teens are there for me, and I feel like beefing up those skills wouldn't be the worst idea.


From Qblog by Equinox via  Greatest.com's Links We Love
This shift in biomechanical thought is evident in Animal Flow: A new system of fluid, fundamental movements that combines Parkour, break dancing, gymnastics, free running and circus arts, and was born out of creator Mike Fitch's fatigue of free weights. “There were years when I was lifting a ton of weights, and it was too much on my joints — I felt inflamed all the time,” says Fitch, “So I decided to see how my body would change if I explored purely body weight disciplines. I noticed that there was a common theme: Animal movements, or the quadrupedal movements, and that really resonated with me.”
Fitch combined these animalistic movements with his own understanding of traditional biomechanics (he started his career as an Equinox trainer), in an attempt to optimize ancient primal forms for the modern exerciser. The result: a freestyle flow that works through multiple planes of motion. “It connects all of our stabilization systems and creates synergies throughout the body,” says Fitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment