Starting from scratch in an elite fitness-blog-world full of expensive gear, and Personal Records she couldn't beat with a car.

Friday, January 18, 2013

A quick update while I hydrate

I did end up downloading the Expereal app the other day and so far I've been exceedingly mellow at all the times it chooses to ask.

It gives me a reminder a set number of (random) times a day and I'm supposed to record my mood at that time. I set it to three because I like multiples of three and six just seemed too often. So far it's not terribly intrusive but I wonder if there may end up being a bit of bias as all of the times I'm likely to be too busy to stop and record my mood are likely to be the times I'm doing something really cool or really crappy.


I'm currently waiting for the 32 oz of water I just drank (just now!) to cycle through me enough to go to the gym without fearing a potty emergency halfway through my workout. I think a lot of my problems with running in former years can be pinned on chronic dehydration so I have a strict hydrate before working out rule.

I have a 32 oz water bottle which I try to fill and empty into my face twice a day. I have to have at least finished one bottle full before a run (more if it's later in the day) and I have to be peeing clear or close to it.

Not what I would call ideal running form
image via http://werner.fm/post/26471931081/bathroom-occupied-taken-with-instagram-at
I'm about two thirds of the way through the 5k to 10 program and today's workout will have a short tempo run, so here's hoping I can clear some of that out soon and get to the gym in that golden window between the after work and the after-dinner crowds. Looking forward to trying out some new tech today so hopefully more on that later.

Oh, oh, oh! While I'm thinking of it!

I'd be awfully jazzed if those of you who haven't already would go like me on Facebook!

Click this text to go to my Facebook page
There's a Facebook widget link over on the right side of the page for those immediate reward button clicky types.

I have been starting to post a bit of extra content on Facebook that I hope you will enjoy - mostly random links I find and the occasional pithy comment.

Click it! I know you're out there and I'd love to know more about who you are!

4 comments:

  1. I have been really working hard on getting my water in too this week. I have this app that makes a gurgle sound to remind me to drink. My husband joked that he thinks it is trying to drown me. LOL It's called Water Your Body if you are interested in checking it out.

    I created a fb blog page yesterday too, so I have liked you on both my personal fb page and my blog one now too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I' have HATED water all my life and am really not big on beverages in general so I found it really helpful to set up a water bottle with time markers on it (a la this post http://joggingjawa.blogspot.com/2012/08/nothing-in-and-nothing-out-equals.html )

      I'm usually up and running from about eight am until midnight so to get eight cups a day I have to drink half a cup an hour. It doesn't SOUND like a lot, but then I just don't. *shrugs* I found however that if I have a bottle staring at me with a clear "I should be THIS EMPTY by now" line on it I stick with it.

      I used a marked 24 oz bottle for a while, but now I have a really nice 32 oz bottle and I know how far I have to drink by what time so it's a lot easier.

      Delete
  2. Ugh. water. I try and push lots of tea and coffee, but never enough plain water. I can drink it at the gym. That's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I literally had to chug water by the glass like it was medicine for several years in order to get over that.
      Developing lactose intolerance (I looooove milk) and caffeine sensitivity didn't hurt either.
      Luckily I've never been much of one for soda.

      Delete