Starting from scratch in an elite fitness-blog-world full of expensive gear, and Personal Records she couldn't beat with a car.

Monday, September 10, 2012

September Blog Challenge Day 10 - Blogs!

List your 5 favourite healthy living / fitness blogs

Shut Up + Run
This was the blog that got me into fitness blogs. Funny, candid, no nonsense. Seems to be mainly distance running, trails, and a bit on triathlons

I get the impression that, like me, her inner monologue is not so much a peppy cheerleader or an angry drill sergeant, but a woman who means business, with a long flat look and an even, no-nonsense voice saying "Hey. Knock it off".

This blog is also how I learned about the connection between running and "the runs". I really feel that I owe SUAR a debt of gratitude for that. Not a problem for me personally as of this point, but I think the strong possibility of self-soiling is is a vital piece of training information, and I feel somehow sabotaged by its exclusion from The Complete Idiots Guide to Running (3rd ed), which was my first introduction to in-depth running info.

The Boring Runner
Another early find in the fitness blogaverse whose voice I just liked. Mainly distance running

I don't know that I pick up all that much that is directly applicable training-wise from many of these blogs (it's a little like a HS garage band looking to the memoirs of someone in a philharmonic for guidance) but the vocabulary is starting to sink in a bit and it's good to see the directions that some people take their fitness.

Pensive Pumpkin
Runner, trail fiend, goth, Halloween obsessed, on a fitness journey, remarkably candid, what's not to love?

I find comfort in her fragility, it seems like she and I have had a number of parallel struggles and to see someone else out there at least a little like me chugging along helps me get my chug on.

Two Motivate
Certified Spin, Pilates, and SPX fitness trainer, runner.

Snarky, verbose, angry at times, dare I even say... feminist? Her posts are a bit scattered and stream of consciousness, but this somehow pulls me along even deeper.

Marry Me Yoga
I literally just found this blog today and I can tell it's going to be a favorite. Yoga-centric blog (duh) by an instructor who also seems to enjoy marathon-ing. Sweet and inspiring without managing to come across as cloying. This is rare.

This is of course not exhaustive of who I read (those are listed rather handily on the right side of this page-->) but these are the ones whose voices stand out to me.

******
What are your favorite fitness blogs?

Are there any you would recommend to me or others?

****
What active things did I do today?

In lieu of exercise I fought against the powers of stupidity on the intarwebs with the might of my brains and typing fingers, and also gave myself a wicked gel mani-pedi in gold and turquoise.

No comments:

Post a Comment