Starting from scratch in an elite fitness-blog-world full of expensive gear, and Personal Records she couldn't beat with a car.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

September Blog Challenge Day 5 -Workout settings

Day 5 Share pictures of your favourite place to workout

I run in a suburban NY neighborhood that I only moved to recently. There's um, some houses, with pretty flowers... I guess?

Ok, so hardly inspiring, but I'm going to take that as a challenge to go run in some other places. There is a nature preserve very close to me that I'd like to check out but I do have some personal safety concerns. At the very least it's not paved so I want to have a better idea what I'd be encountering before I start running there. I really need to get a better handle on what kind of parks this area has to offer. There's actually a gate on my regular route that may be an entrance to a regular style park which is across from the preserve, but it's hard to tell if that land is public or private based on the map. I suppose I shall have to check the signs next time I'm there. 

For a time I was doing regular walks through the Holtsville Ecology center with a friend of mine and that would probably be a pretty cool place to go back to. There's a paved 1.2 mile circuit (with a fitness course) and various open unpaved areas you can just meander through, parts of it are a bit hike-ish, in a very minor way. The paved area often smelled kind of funny (ahh nature) so more often than not we'd just sort of hike around the wilder areas and make our own way.


Bonus: if you go while the Wildlife Center is open you can look at the fancy chickens and feed the baby goats!

Interesting side-note in these days of self-aggrandizing marathon time confusion from the BIA Sport Facebook page - Marathon Man:  Is Kip Litton a Marathon Fraud?
An out-of-shape Midwesterner transformed himself into a competitive marathoner. But he insisted on transforming himself further, inventing a character a bit too heroic to be believed. 
Long article, but the situation is kind of fascinating in its audacity.

What do you think of Kip Litton and what he is being accused of?

While we're on the subject: has the Paul Ryan marathon time mistake made an impact on your opinion?

What do you look for in a new workout spot?

****
What active things did I do today?

Not the best day for activities.  I did however take a righteous nap. I loooove sleep but I'm pretty nocturnal so its hard for me to wind down at night and let myself get the sleep I need. This usually catches up with me on weekends and I sleep astoundingly late, but I had too many early days this past weekend and apparently needed a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment