Starting from scratch in an elite fitness-blog-world full of expensive gear, and Personal Records she couldn't beat with a car.

Sunday, September 30, 2012

The perils of popularity

Sorry I skipped a day there, yesterday was my mother's birthday and today was a wine tour bachelorette party for my Boyfriend's Sister so I've been out and about of the majority of the weekend. My running schedule for the coming week looks similarly chaotic between a doctor's appointment, providing immoral support at the salon for a friend, my regular game night, and the wedding.

I'm really hoping to be able to run tomorrow afternoon, but if I do it will be in some random spot (probably my old neighborhood simply because I know the streets) and then almost directly to the ophthalmologist.
I'm banking on the power of my deodorant and a fresh change of clothing since I don't have time to go home between. I won't be able to run Tuesday, Thursday or Friday so I have to take what I can get. Luckily I don't tend to get stinky after that kind of run and I'm hoping a headband will hide any hair issues but I'm sure I'll be mortified the whole time anyway. Worst comes to worst I will think of it as their punishment for making me take the air puff glaucoma test.

My ankle pain has resolved as far as my ankle itself, but the soreness has now moved up into the back of my calf and left it feeling the same kind of sore as when you get for the day after you get one of those charlie horses that hurt so bad they wake you up out of a dead sleep. I'm hoping a night of sleep and some gentle but focused stretching over the course of the day tomorrow will work that out in time.

Have you ever had to own your grossness in public for a while in order to fit a workout into your schedule?

Day 29 Recipe time! Share your favourite fall recipe!

 

Easy choice: Garlic Parmesan roasted pumpkin seeds.

I base my methods on the ones posted at Extreme Pumpkins, but I do the seasoning mix to taste. Usually this involves dumping as much garlic powder, salt, and fresh grated Parmesan cheese in to the mix as I think I can reasonably get away with. I used to do other flavors until I found myself wishing I was eating this one instead.

1. Do a mediocre job of separating the goo and guts from the actual seeds. Don’t rinse them or they won’t taste as good.
2. Add salt to the seeds. I suggest 1 teaspoon for every 2 cups of seeds.
3. Add the melted butter. I use 1 tablespoon.
4. Mix the salt (and/or seasonings), melted butter and seeds and then spread them on the baking sheet.
5. Roast them at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes. Stir them halfway through.
6. Take them out and eat them.

Day 30 Your goals for October

My goals for October are
  • run my first 5k race (already scheduled!)  
  • get back into practicing yoga and belly dance
  • speed up my 5k a bit (no definite goals for that yet)
  • figure out and maybe start doing some heart rate training
  • more bloggy goodness

2 comments:

  1. Yay for more bloggy goodness!

    This October is going to be amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Have you ever had to own your grossness in public?" Actually I don't ever think i've been to a grocery store *not* covered in horse shit. If i'm dirty in public i'll often leave my half-chaps and boots on so people can at least figure out why I smell .. interesting. Heh. I look forward to your "immoral" support by the way.

    ReplyDelete